Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do I change a tire on my car?

I know the basics I mean I know you need to jack up the car obviously. But the tire is shredded and it looks stuck. Yes i am a woman and NO i don't have any one to help me. The wheel of the car kinda looks scraped but I dont think it is bent. Please advise I can't afford to pay someone to do it so i just wanna buy a tire and give it a whirl! thanksHow do I change a tire on my car?
Not going to happen.



You need a press, which will fit the tire on the wheel.



Then you need a balancing machine, to make sure the tire is properly balanced on the wheel, or it will drive horribly.



Then the alignment needs to be checked.



None of which, can you do.How do I change a tire on my car?
I think your best bet it trying to find a used tire place if your short on money.
Set the brake, loosen the lug nuts a turn or two and then jack up the car. After you get the lug nuts off, if the wheel is stuck, give it a good kick at the top of the rim, it should come off. Replace it with the spare, tighten the nuts. let it off the jack and then finish tightening the nuts, stand on the lug wrench if you can't tighten them enough by hand, just don't fall.



You will need to take the rim to a tire shop, Wal mart does tires in some stores, any of the national chains are pretty reliable.



It takes a special machine to break the tire's beads off of the rim. The shop will tell you if your rim is safe to reuse.
I'm guessing you mean how do you change out tire on the rim?



I have done this by hand but it's very hard. you will need tools that i'm guessing you don't' have. At very least you need 3 large screw drivers. When i did it i had ';tire spoons';. You use soapy water and pry around the rim using each screw driver to hold the tire down. You have to have a lot of compressed air to get the tire to pop onto the rim or you have to get some type of winch and wrap around the tire to squeeze it out on to the rim to get somewhat seated so you can start putting air into it.



After that point it's still not balanced and you will have problems.



Cheapest way is to buy a tire on the rim off caigslist.

No comments:

Post a Comment