Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How do you change lawn mower tires?

My tires are worn badly so I plan to order new ones. How do I get my new ones on the rim? What's the best technique?How do you change lawn mower tires?
Speaking from experience, you can do it yourself, but it's really not worth the aggravation.



Call around to tire dealers that do truck/industrial tires - you'll probably be looking for ';turf saver'; tires, most are made by Carlisle Tire. They'll be able to order them easily and then take in your rims/tire and they'll put them on for you for a small charge. Also consider having the put an ';anti-flat'; like Slime in the tire.



The reason I don't suggest doing it yourself is that the small diameter tractor tires are very hard to stretch over the rim. Of course you could do it, but you'll need an assortment of prybars and big screwdrivers to stretch the tire over the rim. The technique is just to push the rear bead on and then pry the front bead over the rim. Usually just a brute force maneuver. Also use lots of dishsoap as a lubricant. Then you'll need to seat the bead of the tire. If the tire is very loose on the rim, this is best done by wrapping a rope or tie down around the tread and tightening it until the bead contacts the rim and makes a seal. You should also replace the valve stem while the tire is off. Better safe than sorry. After all that you still need to get rid of the old tires. They usually can't be put out with the regular house trash.



The tire company I use charges me $6 to mount the tire and $1 to recycle the old one. I need to go to the tire place anyway to pick up the tires, so for $7 more, I save myself an extra hour or so of work, well worth it to me.



How do you change lawn mower tires?
Just about every lawn mower has tires that are built into the rim. If you have removable tires you have a riding mower maybe. The regular tires with rims you just remove the bolt that holds them on with a socket and ratchet while holding a back up with a box end wrench on the nut inside the mower deck.
I'm confounded as to how also but if you ever watch them change a tire they have special equipment to remove the tire from the rim. If I were you I loosen the nuts jack up the mower put supports under it finish removing the tires take them to the nearest tire changing business and have them do it.

I would invest in a pair of jack stands like in the link below, some of the discount stores have them cheaper.

http://toys.pricegrabber.com/vehicles-di鈥?/a>

This is what they use to remove the tire from the rim.

http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.c鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment