Friday, November 19, 2010

Can I put wider tires on my stock rim?

I have a 2005 Land Cruiser. The tires measure 275/70R18. I wanted to change the tires because they have flats. The dealer only has 265 or 285. Is there any problem to go higher or lower? How would it change the driving and steering?Can I put wider tires on my stock rim?
A little wider or a little narrower will not make a huge difference in your respect. The way that the tire size work is that the first # is how wide the tire is in mm. The second number is the % of the width that the sidewall is high. The R is for Rim, and the last number is for the diameter of the rim.



There are 25.4mm in an inch so you are looking at about 1/2 inch narrower or wider. Personally I would go with the wider for a little bit better braking. You can do the math and see what the total tire height would be, the closer the new number to the old number the closer your speedometer will beCan I put wider tires on my stock rim?
If anything i would go higher not lower. The wider the rim the better 'footprint' the car will have and therefore more traction. Steering shouldn't really be affected other than it should have more understeer more which is much better than oversteer. They larger should fit, but i would take it to whoever is going to be installing the rims and see what they say.
Could just ask the dealer they'd have years of experience and would probably know exactly what differences it would make. They could also tell you if they would fit.



As far as handling though there should be very little if any difference.
I would go with the 285,s just make sure you have fender clearence when turning. If they are taller your spedo might be off.

No comments:

Post a Comment