Friday, November 19, 2010

How the heck do I get those lug nuts off the car so I can change the tire?

Yeah I am trying with the tools they supplied and turning counter clockwise. My 20 yr old Volvo has a flat in the garage and I got the hubcap off but can't budge the lug-nuts. Any ideas would be appreciated other than calling someone for help. I guess I am not that strong. I'm a woman and just can't seem to turn them.How the heck do I get those lug nuts off the car so I can change the tire?
Do you have some WD40 around the house? Spray some on the lugs where they touch the rim. Let it soak for a few mins then try again.



There are anti-seize sprays on the market, like PB Blaster, available at auto parts stores. If you can get to a parts store like AutoZone, pick up a can and spray it on the lugs.



Usually the tools that come with a car are total junk. What you need is some leverage. Try slipping a steel pipe over the handle of the lug wrench and use it as a fulcrum to give you more power.How the heck do I get those lug nuts off the car so I can change the tire?
Try and get some sort of pipe to stick over the end of the wrench, and increase the leaverage. And stamp on it;)



Hehe
I had some lug nuts seize on my son's car. Some genius Japanese car designer thought it was a good idea to use steel lug nuts on aluminum alloy wheels. Took me days to get the tire off. But here's what finally worked.



I got a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and an impact socket the size to fit the lug nut. I used an impact socket because it is a 6 point socket which would be less likely to round off the lug nut. Also, an impact socket has a thicker wall thickness and was less likely to break.



I went to the home improvement store and bought a 6 foot section of black pipe. This is metal pipe, not plastic. I think I used 1 1/4 inch diameter pipe. You want something large enough to fit over the wrench handle but not too big.



I used the black pipe as an extension on the breaker bar handle to get some serious leverage. It took a lot of effort.



I replaced the frozen lug nuts with new ones.



However be aware that you will get some serious leverage using this method. You risk breaking the lug nut studs.
Trunk tools for changing tires are ';junk tools';. You need a 16 inch breaker bar from your Sears Tool Department an a metric deep well socket - the same size as your junk-trunk tool.



You will find that the pressure you exert is more controlled and it feels more ergonomically comfortable. It wouldn't hurt to spray the lug nuts with: PB Blaster, a rust solvent which any hardware or auto-parts store has.
stand on it i am a woman and my dad taught me to stand on it cause women do not have the upper strength to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment