Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Changing to winter tires, how will my ride quality change when it's not snowing?

I have a G35 coupe, currently it's on 18 inch performance tires. I have never driven it in the winter, but I have a set of 17 inch winter tires in the garage. I will have to put these on soon as this is my daily driver, and it'll start to snow soon.



How will these 17 inch tires compare with whta I have now? Will my ride quality improve as the tires are smaller? Less road noise?Changing to winter tires, how will my ride quality change when it's not snowing?
Road noise on the pavement - will be the most noticeable.



Next would be the great traction you will now have in the snow.



Your speedometer will be off a little tooChanging to winter tires, how will my ride quality change when it's not snowing?
You will likely have MORE road noise... most snow tires produce a small hummmming sound. as far as your ride.. it will not change much at all.
Of course you will need a set of 17'; rims for these tires. The ride quality should not change that much since the winter tires should run the same air pressure as the performance tires. You will probably notice a bit of difference in handling characteristics and your speedometer readings will be off a little with the smaller tires. Personally I would opt for some good (Blizak type)

all weather tires in the 18'; size.

Have fun in the snow!
You will notice an increase in road noise. Also these tires tend to run a little hotter than standard trires as a result of the tread design - but then, you are not supposed to be driving fast on snowy streets. When on dry pavement you woll get the noice and heat factor. Otherwise - not much descernable difference.
It will be a pretty even exchange. Snow tires tend to have a slightly stiffer ride, but since you use 18's there may not be much difference. The handling may be a little softer due to the extra sidewall height though.

No comments:

Post a Comment