Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do I figure out what the pressure in my tires should be?

I have a 1990 Toyota Camry, and obviously I no longer have the original tires. There are so many numbers and letters on the tires that I am not sure what tires I even have, let alone how to figure out what the tire pressure should be. I got the tires changed a couple of years ago, so I no longer have any paperwork that may have come with them when I bought them. Help! Thanks.How do I figure out what the pressure in my tires should be?
Read the tire pressure written in the owner's manual for the car NOT the pressure listed on the tires themselves. The pressure on the tire is for the tire itself at the maximum load rating of the tire, and will be too much air pressure for your car. Often the correct tire pressure is listed on a label attached to the car. Look for a label in either the door jambs (usually driver's door), glove box, or trunk.



Don't guess at the pressure - find out what it should be and inflate the tires properly for safety and longevity of your tires..How do I figure out what the pressure in my tires should be?
Open the drivers door, and on the door or the frame there will be a sticker or something with vehicle weights, and tire pressures. They usually specify front and back pressure. You want to look for something like 32 PSI (which is Pounds per Square Inch). If you can't find it, 32 to 35 would probably be fine.
Bradley V has it right on,but at the auto shop we use 32psi in the front and 30psi in the back, because the back has less weight.
As others have said, check the door and see what the car calls for. However, if the tires aren't the size that the car actually calls for (this will also be listed inside the door on the information panel), it will make a difference. It isn't a bad idea to look on the side of the tire itself and see what it says. We also put a standard 35 PSI in most car tires at my shop.



-Just something to note. I have had customers that followed what their door said and some cars call for as low as 29 PSI. Spent a lot of time trying to figure out why the customers tires were leaking.. - until he told us he kept it at the recommended pressure. Bump it to 35 and the problem was solved. It also extends the life of the tire to be properly inflated.

No comments:

Post a Comment